As part of a series on the short-term rental industry in Door County, Knock on Nov. 16 held a panel discussion and community forum event on the state of the industry.
Panelists discussed questions including how the industry has grown, how it has affected other lodging businesses and the housing market, how municipalities have responded with new regulations, and how longtime operators of short-term rentals have been affected by current trends in the industry.
- Mariah Goode, the county government’s Land Use Services director
- Hugh Zettel, a Door County Board of Supervisors member and member of the Town of Sevastopol’s plan commission who was involved in creating the town’s short-term rentals ordinance
- Erika Skogg, a short-term rental owner/operator who rents out another living space on her property and uses the rental income to pay her mortgage
- Carrie Tjernagel, the Door County property coordinator for De Pere-based Simple Life Rentals
- Sam Nelson, manager of the Blacksmith Inn in Baileys Harbor
The event was held at the Kress Pavilion in Egg Harbor. Watch the discussion by clicking on the video above.